Welcome to Week 43 of the 52 weeks to a better you journey.
While the goal with most of these baby steps is to build habits, there is something to be said for being conscious of our actions.
Be mindful of everything you eat
One problem that many people have when eating is that there can be a tendency to eat more than we should or the wrong things because we are not paying too much attention to what we are eating.
Do you eat while doing other things? Watching TV, working, or even snacking during cooking? I’ve done all of those things. So many times I lose track of what I’ve shoved into my mouth because my attention was on everything else but eating.
This week we are going to be intentional about our food. Maybe this will mean turning off the TV during dinner. Perhaps you will need to go someplace away from your desk for lunch. The point is that every time you go to stick food into your mouth, you should think about that. Be mindful. Enjoy it. Think about the taste, the texture, the smell, and the colors. Are you chewing everything well? Did you notice something new about the food that you didn’t know before? Be prepared for your body to reveal new things to you – like new preferences or the discovery that you are full before you have finished your meal.
Be mindful of what you fuel your body with.
Baby step for this week: Actively pay attention to what you are eating. Here are some tips for doing that:
- Turn off electronic devices
- Go to a place just designated for eating
- Put your utensils down between bites
- Put your food down between bites
- Identify something new about what you are eating (i.e., texture, flavor, etc.)
- Drink water between bites
- Think about a pleasant memory that occurred when you ate that food before
- Think about how you would describe the food to someone who has never had it before
- Sit down
What about you?
What tips do you have to help us be mindful about eating?
What things keep you from thinking about the food you put into your mouth?
Share your journey with us!